- Meeting Information
- Advisory Bodies
- Siting of Memorials & Symbols Committee
Siting of Memorials & Symbols Committee
The Committee shall review all requests for the proposed placement, siting and installation of memorials and/or symbols on County-owned or County-leased property, or the naming of any County facility, park, or road according to the criteria set forth herein prior to the granting of any approval of any such request, and shall issue a written recommendation to the Ways and Means Committee of the County Legislature, or any successor committee thereto, and to the County Executive, no later than 90 days subsequent to the receipt of such request, said recommendation to be in writing and to include a brief listing of the findings and determinations on which the recommendation is based.
The Committee shall consider the following criteria when reviewing a request to name or rename a County facility, park, or road:
(1) If the facility is to be named after a deceased individual, the individual should have been deceased for at least six months prior to the naming of the facility, the individual should have provided outstanding service to the County of Suffolk over a period of years, and special consideration should be given if the individual's death was related to service to the County;
(2) If the facility is to be named after a living individual, that individual should have provided outstanding service to the County of Suffolk over a period of years and the individual should be at least 65 years of age;
(3) If the facility is to be named after a group/organization, then the group/organization should have contributed at least 50% to the development costs or maintenance costs of the facility, and should agree to pay the cost of installing a plaque or other form of dedication of the facility;
(4) A relationship should exist between the individual or group/organization being considered and the location and/or type of facility being named; and
(5) A proliferation of names for different parts of the same facility should be avoided and the same name should not be applied to any other County facility:
C. The Committee shall not review proposals for the naming or renaming of County roads in honor of deceased veterans who perished in war zones as set forth in Resolution No. 786-2006.EN
§ 674-3. Committee recommendation required.
A. No resolution authorizing such placement, siting or installation of memorials and/or symbols on County-owned or County-leased property, or the naming of County facilities, parks, or roads, shall be considered by the Suffolk County Legislature unless and until a recommendation has been received from the Committee.
B. Any such recommendation shall not be binding but shall be purely advisory in nature.
§ 674-4. Applicability.
This chapter shall apply to any request for proposed placement, siting and installation of memorials and/or symbols on County-owned or County-leased property, or the naming of County facilities, parks, or roads, made on or after the effective date of this chapter.