(HUNTINGTON STATION, NY... December 17, 2018) – Legislator Tom Donnelly (D-Huntington Station) is pleased to provide Babylon and Huntington residents with the Suffolk County Office for the Aging Winter Senior Advocate Schedule. Senior advocates are County representatives who come out into the community and assist seniors with information gathering, completion of eligibility or recertification applications and referrals to appropriate community agencies.
Senior Advocates meet with interested and needy seniors aged 60 and over at regularly-scheduled times in specific locations throughout the community. This winter, they will be visiting the following locations in the Town of Babylon:
- Deer Park Library, 44 Lake Avenue, Deer Park: Fridays, January 18 & March 15, 9 am – 11 am
- Lindenhurst Library, 1 Lee Avenue, Lindenhurst: Monday, February 25, 10 am – 11:30 am
- North Amityville Nutrition Center, 48-C Cedar Road, Amityville: Thursday, January 10 and Tuesdays, February 5 & March 5, 10 am – 1 pm
- Rainbow Center, 293 Buffalo Avenue, Lindenhurst: Wednesdays, January 2, February 6 & March 6, 8:30 am – 11 am
- Spangle Drive Center, 483 Spangle Drive, North Babylon: Mondays, January 7, February 4 & March 4, 8:30 am – 11 am
- Tanner Park Nutrition Center,#2 Tanner Park, Copiague: Wednesdays, January 16, February 20 & March 20, 8:30 am – 1 pm
- West Babylon Library, 211 Route 109, West Babylon: Thursdays, January 24 & March 28, 10 am – 1 pm
- Wyandanch Nutrition Center, 28 Wyandanch Avenue, Wyandanch: Fridays, January 4, January 18, February 1, February 15, March 1 & March 15, 8:30 am – 12:30 pm
They will be visiting the following locations in the Town of Huntington:
- Elwood Library, 1929 Jericho Turnpike, East Northport: Friday, February 15, 11 am – 1 pm
- Huntington Library, 338 Main Street, Huntington: Mondays, January 14 & March 11, 10 am – 12 pm
- Huntington Senior Nutrition Center, 423 Park Avenue, Huntington: Wednesdays, January 23, February 27 & March 27, 8:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Paumanack Village V & VI, 100 Adriatic Drive, Melville: Thursdays, January 24, February 28 & March 28, 8:30 am– 11:30 am
Advocates assist with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP – formerly known as food stamps), Medicare Savings Program and Heating Emergency Assistance Program (HEAP) applications. They also can provide information on Medicare, answer questions and make additional recommendations and referrals.
For more information about available services, or for directions to any of these or other County locations, please call the Suffolk County Office for the Aging at (631) 853-8200. Appointments are encouraged but drop-ins are always welcome.
“Advocates from the Suffolk County Office for the Aging bring critical and invaluable information directly to our valued seniors, meeting with them in familiar and convenient locations,” Legislator Donnelly said. “I hope residents will take full advantage of this outreach so they can find out more about all of the great services available to them.”
# # #
Suffolk County Legislator Tom Donnelly represents the 17th Legislative District, which includes parts of Huntington, Huntington Station, South Huntington, Melville, West Hills, Cold Spring Hills, Dix Hills, Deer Park, North Babylon and West Babylon. He is chairman of the Education & Human Services committee and a member of the Public Safety; Public Works, Transportation & Energy; Seniors & Consumer Protection; and Veterans committees of the Suffolk County Legislature.